About Me

name: Beanie
age: 35
email: bbbeans@yahoo.com


AT THE MOMENT

Book: New York by Edward Rutherfurd

Music: 1999 by Prince

Mood: The current mood of bbbeans@yahoo.com at www.imood.com

LAWYERS

Teahouse Blossom
CrimLaw
SilentService
May It Please The Court
Blonde Justice
Ernie The Attorney
f/k/a
Lessig Blog
Evan Schaeffer's Legal Underground
Jeremy's Weblog
Begging The Question
The Neutral Zone Trap
the imbroglio
Biting Tongue
Peanut Butter Burrito
Legal Quandary
In It But Not Of It
WonL
A New Duck
Just Playin'
Res Ipsa Eloquent
How Appealing
Scoplaw
Lag Liv
Law v. Life
IPTAblog
Lowering the Bar
Bag and Baggage
The Uncivil Litigator
Will Work For Favorable Dicta
Transmogriflaw

ON THE WAY

Divine Angst
Frequent Citations
Magic Cookie
Knocked Up (and in Law School)
Butterflyfish
Mommy on the Floor
PT-LawMom
Thanks, But No Thanks
Law Ingenue
No. 634
think like a woman. act like a man.

I READ THESE TOO

the underwear drawer
Do Not Overmix
Little Lost Robot
PostSecret
Overheard in the Office
JD2B

OTHER LINKS

Jurist
Truth Laid Bear
< ? law blogs # >
Blogroll Me!

TERROR ALERT LEVEL

Terror Alert Level

RSS FEED





CREDITS

design by maystar
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Bloggapedia - Find It! Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Want to Rip?
Reading blogs at work? Click to
escape to a suitable site!


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

ARCHIVES

spacer!
Screaming Bean
Monday, July 28, 2003

Self checkout...a boon or a curse?
Since my posts tend to be mundane, I bring you the first of hopefully many hard-hitting opinion pieces on the way the world is turning these days. Who am I kidding...I'm procrastinating, but here goes.

I have read a number of letters to the editor in various papers and seen on some blogs that people think that using self-checkout lanes at supermarkets/Home Depots/Walmarts are perpetuating a rising unemployment rate. Since I don't feel like responding to each of these letters individually I will in this post attempt to explain why not only do I use these lanes, I revel in using these lanes.

While it is true that by using such lanes I am preventing a real live human being from waiting on me and providing valuable customer service, I am saving my sanity. There have been very few instances where I have received any valuable customer service in a local Home Depot/Kmart/supermarket checkout line in the last year or so. My experience in these stores usually borders on the "want-to-bang-my-head-against-the-wall-repeatedly" variety. I have worked retail, so I speak from experience in what is expected of a cashier, and being surly, talking to your fellow employees, being lazy, incompetent, and/or slow does not qualify as appropriate customer service. I do not fear technology, verily, would I be writing this here if I was a luddite? Nay! If I can avoid such interactions that leave me prone to self-induced head trauma while at the same time providing myself with a quick way to exit the store with my goods in hand without committing petty larceny I say more power to it! Let me scan with impunity! Do not question my liberal unionizing tendencies! It makes my world a nicer happier place. It's a matter of keeping the world happy for Type A personalities everywhere. Thanks for reading.