About Me

name: Beanie
age: 35
email: bbbeans@yahoo.com


AT THE MOMENT

Book: New York by Edward Rutherfurd

Music: 1999 by Prince

Mood: The current mood of bbbeans@yahoo.com at www.imood.com

LAWYERS

Teahouse Blossom
CrimLaw
SilentService
May It Please The Court
Blonde Justice
Ernie The Attorney
f/k/a
Lessig Blog
Evan Schaeffer's Legal Underground
Jeremy's Weblog
Begging The Question
The Neutral Zone Trap
the imbroglio
Biting Tongue
Peanut Butter Burrito
Legal Quandary
In It But Not Of It
WonL
A New Duck
Just Playin'
Res Ipsa Eloquent
How Appealing
Scoplaw
Lag Liv
Law v. Life
IPTAblog
Lowering the Bar
Bag and Baggage
The Uncivil Litigator
Will Work For Favorable Dicta
Transmogriflaw

ON THE WAY

Divine Angst
Frequent Citations
Magic Cookie
Knocked Up (and in Law School)
Butterflyfish
Mommy on the Floor
PT-LawMom
Thanks, But No Thanks
Law Ingenue
No. 634
think like a woman. act like a man.

I READ THESE TOO

the underwear drawer
Do Not Overmix
Little Lost Robot
PostSecret
Overheard in the Office
JD2B

OTHER LINKS

Jurist
Truth Laid Bear
< ? law blogs # >
Blogroll Me!

TERROR ALERT LEVEL

Terror Alert Level

RSS FEED





CREDITS

design by maystar
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Bloggapedia - Find It! Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Want to Rip?
Reading blogs at work? Click to
escape to a suitable site!


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

ARCHIVES

spacer!
Screaming Bean
Thursday, July 08, 2004

I know yesterday I told you all to come back today when I said I'd write something. So it's today, and I should write something. Things you should know/do/buy before coming to law school. Yes kiddies, for those of you who have not had the pleasure of jumping on this elliptical machine from hell, I am here to provide you with some tidbits to make the trek that more tolerable. Do I speak as a bitter rising 3L? Perhaps, but what I say here is true.

Things to bring/buy:
1) Laptop - I know a great deal of programs already require this, but if yours doesn't, get one anyway. Why? When you're trying to pull down your email or do online research, you don't have to fight for lab space. If your campus is WiFi capable, make sure you have an integrated card. The plug and play ones work, but I know more people who have had problems, not to mention you don't want to be removing it all the time so you can stuff the laptop in your bag.
2) A PDA - I started the trend on my campus. I had one the very first day of class. I tracked my assigned reading, phone numbers, infinite number of events on campus, exam schedules, all of it. I became the go to person for information. It makes life so much easier. If you run Pocket Mirror and Outlook, you are constantly in touch with what's going on. That's a good thing. It seems now everyone has one. You can even take notes on it with a keyboard attachment. I'm not one of these people.
3) Cell phone - While I know most of you don't leave home with out it, this is a must. It's not as important your first year, but as you start progressing through interviews you'll need to be in touch. But please please turn it silent for classes. Your classmates will thank you for it.
4) Highlighters - You cannot have enough yellow highlighters. If you're multi-colored like me, you cannot have enough green highlighters. Take stock now in a highlighter company.

Things to know:
1) You will not be the smartest person you know. Just suck it up now. You all are brilliant in your own way, and that's why you're in law school. Don't let this bum you out. You do deserve to be there, otherwise you wouldn't have been accepted.
2) Gunners suck. Don't be one. The person who will get the highest grades in the class is not the gunner, it's the quiet one in the corner who answers when called on and that's it.
3) Make friends with the staff. This includes the librarians, the secretaries, the registrar. They are there to be helpful. If you're friendly, you get that much more help. The perks are immeasurable.
4) Don't buy every study guide known to man. Ask around. Some are definitely better than others, and the upperclassmen will know which ones worked for them.

I'm sure there is much more to be said, I'm currently out of words. Hopefully you find this helpful. And remember...eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.